Wednesday, September 26, 2012

HappyThyroid Soup

...........Or, as I like to call it ""What was in the Cupboard and about to Expire Gumbo"


In any case; after my radiation thing to work on my Graves' Disease, I am now one of the millions of folks struggling to live day to day with an underactive thyroid gland; I'm now Hypothryoid.

And what fun, as the medications have to be adjusted so your mood swings are legend, your hands shake, your hair falls out, alternating sweating like a pig or freezing like an iceberg....oh and the weight gain, and don't forget the lethargy & depression.....oh yeah. It's got it all.

BUT there's hope and that's the main thing. Time. Proper care. Good diet. Right levels of Meds.



There's a lot of great books out there about hypo/hyper thyroidism , and  a few deal with the weight issues. This soup is by no means a doctor okayed thing or anythhing; but I went by the guidelines in Mary Shomon's book; "The Thyroid Diet" about foods to try, foods to avoid.

 And it's yummy. Like, really yummy. And good for you. So here's the basic recipe. I think you could add whatever you wanted really, and simmer it, and it'd be awesome. But this is my version. 


As per David's request; The HappyThyroid Soup.


 1. Diced Carrots, Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Celery, garlic - a lot, like 2-3 cups
Cut up Okra 1 Package
1 can Garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 cup soy beans
2 containers (6-8 cups) sodium/salt reduced chicken stock
1 lg can chopped tomatoes
1 cup basmati rice (or more)
3 cups water (maybe)
3 handfuls fresh spinach
peppercorns - 15 or so
garlic powder - lots
turmeric - lots like 3 tsp
chili powder 3 tsp
ancho chili powder 2 tsp
dash or 5 of hot sauce >> I like it spicy so I add more
black pepper lots
bay leaves - 2

In a big ol' stock pot, and I do mean big - heat some olive oil and saute the items in row #1
Add in Okra, saute a bit longer, a minute or two, stir lots
Add beans, tomatoes and stock
Stir well. Let this cook for a minute on medium heat
Add everything else except for rice, bring heat up to med-high
stir often, bring to boil
add rice and water, stir
add all spices to taste, keep tasting, add more 
reduce to simmer, cover

You could add more veggies if you like, whatever you have on hand. Remove from heat. 

You'll probably want to add more water as you reheat and use . Serve and eat it with whole grain crusty bread. It's yummy.
Did I mention that yet? It's yummy.

I'm freezing well over half of it in ziploc baggies. Ejnoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I am not sure lhow long it's been since your "radiation" But I have been on thyroid meds for about 15 years, at least and have only had to have 2-3 dose adjustments over all that time, hope you get all levelled out soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Make sure to leave your blog addy so I can reciprocate! Have a wonderful day.